Scheffler said he thinks McGuinness will be OK. "He said he'll know more in the morning," Scheffler said. " Then in February, Scheffler finally scored his first win at the Phoenix Open, and has been on an absolute heater ever since. Hovland pinballed in and out of the lead over the weekend. PGA TOUR Stats, bio, video, photos, results, and career highlights The best player in the world is a Christian and his caddie too. Scottie Scheffler celebrates a par putt on the 15th green during the final round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard at Arnold Palmer Bay Hill Golf Course on March 06, 2022, in Orlando, Florida. In fact, Scheffler first met Ted Scott in a bible study session. WebScott Alexander Scheffler (born June 21, 1996) is an American professional golfer who plays on the PGA Tour.He first reached the position of world number one in the Official World Golf Ranking in March 2022 and has held the ranking for a cumulative 31 weeks. Just before his hot streak began, Scheffler coaxed caddie Ted Scott out of retirement to carry his bag. I even, hes just hes an amazing guy. There was the marvelous comeback of Rory McIlroy, one of the sports classiest practitioners, who has never won at Augusta National and came closer than anybody to challenging Scheffler in the end. And as I say that, he jumps to see where the ball is, and immediately he goes down. He plans to eventually display everything in the building where he instructs. Scheffler and playing partner Louis Oosthuizen finished the hole while medical staff checked on McGuinness. Open Championship and beyond, but if there was a slow moment, it came during the Par-3 contest where Meredith was his caddie. Scheffler, who used a version of Tigers signature TaylorMade irons, wore Nikes TW model shoes and shirt at the Masters, and used to study his YouTube clips, recalled Tigers dominance at Bay Hill and what it meant to him to play at Arnies course as a junior in an AJGA event. As further proof of the carnage going on at Bay Hill on Sunday, Hovland made bogey at the next two holes and still held the lead at the turn. Justin Thomas and Corey Conners are tied for sixth, both 1 under. Thats just who he is. It has paid huge and fast dividends, and theyll try for their fourth win in the span of six starts together on Sunday. Scheffler will have longtime PGA Tour caddie Ted Scott on his bag starting this week at Sea Island Resort. Scott had been Bubba Watsons caddie for nearly 15 years before the two split in September. Ive gotten to know Teddy decently well the last couple of years on Tour. There was underground foosball, Azinger says. AUGUSTA, Ga. No one has as good a perspective on Masters leader Scottie Schefflers caddie, Ted Scott, as Bubba Watson, who won two green jackets with Scott on 1-ranked player grabbed it and never let goSunday. 11 and 12 and a birdie at the 13th. THE MATERIAL ON THIS SITE MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED, DISTRIBUTED, TRANSMITTED, CACHED OR OTHERWISE USED, EXCEPT WITH THE PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION OF DISCOVERY GOLF, INC. 2023 DISCOVERY GOLF, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED, Who's Scottie Scheffler's caddie? [2] He played golf at Highland Park High School and later played college golf at the University of Texas from 2014 to 2018, where he Scheffler has won three of his last five starts on the way to the No. Feel the emotion. But hopefully he'll be all right.". Surround yourself with calm. Thats the coolest part about this whole deal, Scheffler said. Scheffler made bogey at the 10th before settling in with consecutive pars at Nos. Golf Channel, All Rights Reserved. NOW PLAYING: Politics Who Is Scottie Scheffler's Caddie? 13 hole during the second round of the Masters at Augusta National Golf Club, Friday, April 8, 2022. Scottie Scheffler and caddie Scott Mcguinness. However, by the time dusk began to settle on those hallowed grounds, Scheffler had proved to himself that he didnt have to be entirely ready for the final round of Masters in order to win it. Its been a wild week for Scottie Scheffler. It was a triumph of willpower as much as athletic skill. Shane Lowry (69 on Sunday) and Cameron Smith (73) tied for third place, five shots behind Scheffler. Scheffler, who started the day with a three-shot lead, ended up winning by same margin after firing 1-under-par 71 in a final round that really wasnt that close. Such recent winners such at Jon Rahm, Bryson, J.T. Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own. Scotty Scheffler (born June 21, 1996) is an American professional golfer who currently plays on the PGA Tour. But he did get the job done, of course, and in the end, we can take away yet another lesson or two from that. This is a BETA experience. Scheffler and Scott made their debut together at the RSM Classic in November Six months ago, Scott thought he was done caddying after a 15-year stint with Bubba Watson that included two Masters victories, came to an end. Scott was on the bag for both of Bubba Watsons victories in 2012 and 2014. Its so fun to play. If you get your life somewhat in order, maybe a few more putts will go in.. There was pine straw in front of me that I couldnt move. Meredith Scheffler called her husband a fighter. Im humbled to be a part of the team, honestly, Scott said. Scheffler said that caddie Scott McGuiness injured his right leg when he jumped to see where Schefflers ball had finished on the ninth hole at TPC Boston. He needed to be tough over the final 36 holes as a U.S. Open broke out a few months early at Arnies Place. Scottie Scheffler didn't have the same immediate success that other World Number 1-ranked golfers like Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy or Dustin Johnson may have experienced. (Photo: Adam Cairns-Augusta Chronicle/USA TODAY Sports). Ive seen some guys do that, the first one that comes to mind is watching Jordan (Spieth) take that walk up 18 with that huge lead (in 2015).. At the end you can just tell that his leg and his body are just not used to walking this much, right? You know, the qualities you look for in a person, Ted embodies pretty much all of them. As for Scott, it appears that his retirement will have to wait for a while longer, as Scheffler is set to return to Augusta National in 2023 as the reigning champion. Scheffler finished out the hole and on the way to the 10thtee met his replacement caddie, Eric Ledbetter, who is one of the assistant pros at TPC Boston. In the final round, Scheffler handled the imposing sequence of finishing holes that test not only the skills but the nerves of a player better than anyone else. 1 in the world now and in position to win the Masters. Then move on. "We're walking up to the green on 9, and it's kind of a little blind shot, 30 yards to the pin, and we're both curious where the ball is," Scheffler said. Scotties young and has had a bit of a habit of getting a little angry on the golf course, and maybe even a little angry toward his caddie. Last fall, Scott planned to retire from caddying and teach golf, something hes been doing for years anyway. Its really nice just having someone I can trust so much out there with me.. Teddy, as most people call him, is one of the more well-known caddie names in the biz, but we bet there are some things about him you might not know. Similar to its movie counterpart, the 1 spot in the world after his win at the Dell Match Play. It might not have Tiger Woods vs. Phil Mickelson level of pizzazz to it, but a Scheffler-Smith pairing in the final round of a major given the form both are in right now is probably pretty close to the best matchup that golf purists could have gotten. He's hard-working. Were trying to be the best husband we can be, trying to be the best parent we can be. Sage advice:Will former Ben Crenshaw caddie Carl Jackson's advice seal a green jacket for Scottie Scheffler? Been close a few times, but never in the spotlight as the favorite heading into the final round. There was no catching Scheffler on Sunday, though. NORTON, Mass. Scottie Scheffler of the United States converses with his caddie Ted Scott on the 12th hole during a pro-am event prior to the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard at Arnold Palmer Bay Hill Golf Course on March 02, 2022 in Orlando, Florida. Golfweek operates independently, though, and this doesnt influence our coverage. You can just tell that his leg is just not quite up there yet, Rahm said of Woods. Its very surreal, said Scott. The humble Scott wont take any credit for Schefflers three-shot victory over Rory McIlroy. Scottie Scheffler and caddie Ted Scot across the No. When Scheffler called Scott about working together, Scott had questions for the young Texan. Three players Rory McIlroy, Scottie Scheffler and Jon Rahm have already traded the top spot in the world ranking this year, and more scenarios this week could lead to another turnover. Scottie Scheffler Caddy . Its earned. Scottie Scheffler talks with his caddie Ted Scott at the 2021 RSM Classic on the Seaside Course at Sea Island Resort in St. Simons Island, Georgia. In 14 of his 15 major championship victories, he carried a lead into the final round and won, the lone exception being the 2019 Masters, where he rallied from two shots back. Top editors give you the stories you want delivered right to your inbox each weekday. This is the hardest walk all year. To walk up 18 and have six putts or however many we had to hold (the flagstick from No. RELATED: Masters 2022: Kevin Na's five-putt(!) Scheffler and Scott made their debut together at the RSM Classic in November 2021, finishing T57. McIlroy, who needed only 22 putts, holed out an 18-yard bunker shot on No. On Sunday morning, before reporting for work at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia, PGA golf pro Scottie Scheffler finally succumbed to a serious case of the nerves. WebThe Official PGA TOUR Profile of Scottie Scheffler. Shane Lowry and Charl Schwartzel will start Sunday tied for fourth, seven shots off the pace at 2 under. I had my kids and my wife pray about it, said Scott. Its been an eventful week for the 24-year-old rookie, who on Friday, with McGuiness on the bag, carded the 12thsub-60 score in Tour history. 9. Teddy and Scottie talked for quite awhile before they went to work for him, Tesori says. "If the player misses the cut, the caddie still has to get a paycheck because the caddie pays for all of his own expenses airfare, hotel, car, food, all of it.". Scott was on Grant Waites bag at the time as a young looper on the PGA Tour when Tiger edged Waite by one stroke thanks to Woods' legendary shot. Rob Carr He became the 12th player to card a Oh, and you will never, ever regret choosing to keep your head down and play until the ball has hit the bottom of the hole. Don't miss a story! Scheffler said he should know more about McGuiness status on Monday morning, after an exam. Ironically, it may have been precisely because he dominated the tournament so thoroughly that his wavering took place. And Smith has experience in being a chaser, after he and Sungjae Im who is in third, five shots back were the ones closest to Dustin Johnson at the end of the pandemic-delayed Masters in November 2020. At first, he said he heard something pop, so mind starts to wander to dangerous places. Winning his first Major on the PGA Tour at the 2022 Masters was a moment the 25-year-old would never forget. Watson had to rally to win his first Masters in 2012, after starting the final round in fourth. Before pairing with Scheffler, Scott had looped for Bubba Watson for 15 years. He tacked on a birdie at the par-5 12th to reach 5 under and made pars all the way to the house, including two putts from 70 feet at the last. As much as Scotts a talented joke-teller, his best skill is knowing exactly the right thing to Hovland was tied with Scheffler after a birdie at 16, but failed to get up and down from the bunker at 17 he was 3 of 13 in bunker saves for the week and his 17-foot birdie putt at 18 came up short. Teddys been a great addition to the team, Scheffler said. This course is a total beat-down, Scheffler said. After his round on Sunday, Watson was asked if he had any regrets about not having Scott on the bag. I made a 4 somehow, which was kind of a miracle at that point in the round, he said. All three of us are trying to do the same things. Rory McIlroy finished second after shooting 64, the low round of the tournament by three shots. Heading into 2022, Scheffler had been a talented young player that had yet to secure a PGA Tour victory despite a slew of top-10 finishes. My wrist is killing me. He is like he needs 10 more years, and I gave him I felt like a nice retirement package when we split up. But a good caddie like Scott does have a say in what someone else is going to do that being the player whose bag he is carrying. -- PGA Tour rookie Scottie Scheffler's wild week took another turn Sunday in the final round of The Northern Trust, when his caddie, Scott He was done with golf, ready to do something else, probably teach the game. We still text each other, so behind the door he might not be friends with me, but he has made more money, so now I guess he's happy he left., RELATED: Scottie Scheffler planned to spend Saturday night like a lot of married couples. It is tradition -- not just at the Masters, but every major championship -- that the But he proceeded to miss twice from close distance, raising murmurs of concern among the crowd and television commentators. 8. Autoplay. I just told myself 5 is not a bad score, and thats kind of a comforting feeling on those hard golf courses, he said. GOLF DIGEST MAY EARN A PORTION OF SALES FROM PRODUCTS THAT ARE PURCHASED THROUGH OUR SITE AS PART OF OUR AFFILIATE PARTNERSHIPS WITH RETAILERS. Players field: 43 of top 50 in OWGR, no Tiger, CL: Few devils in details of Tour's event restructure, Rahm falters with 76 in wind: 'It's f**king hard', Scheffler off to good start in bid to defend at API, Rahm: Battle for No. He was seen rubbing his right calf as he was carted to the medical tent. He was a gamer. They are the same age. Getty Images AUGUSTA, Ga. Ted Scott, maybe a short wedge to the right of Yes, he held a commanding lead in the 2022 Masters Tournament and had been playing with a steely consistency that belied his 25 years of age, but the pressure was getting to him. Since then, the top prize has grown substantially: The $2.7 million payday Scheffler earned on Sunday nearly matches Watson's two wins combined. It was a little bit like 'Silence of the Lambs' walking in the basement going down there to play foosball. Scottie Scheffler dominated the Masters to win the first major of his career on Sunday, and his wife Meredith got to enjoy the week with him. I just cant believe I can come back for a lifetime and enjoy this golf course.. Who Is Scottie Scheffler's Caddie? He followed that up with a win at the Masters on Sunday, donning his first green jacket and securing the first major. WebScottie Scheffler and his caddie Ted Scott rips one on PGA Live Vote Related Topics Golf Sports 0 comments Best Add a Comment More posts you may like r/golf Join 21 days ago Auburn student makes a 94 foot putt for a car r/CollegeBasketball 21 days ago u/aatops Auburn student makes a 94 foot putt for a car 9370 points 275 comments 264 13 I never expected it. was as brutal as it sounds. So just kind of being on the same grounds where all that type of historic stuff had happened, it was just really cool coming here and being able to play, Scheffler said. I said, well, we'll pray about it for another week. 2023 www.freep.com. SHARE. 1, LIV Golf's debut on The CW scores low ratings, How to watch PGA Tour's Arnold Palmer Invitational on ESPN+, Kirk wins Honda in playoff; 1st title since 2015, Howell (63) wins in Mexico for 1st title in LIV, Nicklaus: '24 schedule likely to aid Honda field, Siem ends 8-year wait for another Euro Tour title, Vu overcomes 6-shot deficit to win 1st LPGA title, D. Johnson finishes 30 under, reclaims No. I study high performers in sports for lessons in business leadership. Scottie is not a parent yet, but he will be at some point. Caddie Ted Scott and Bubba Watson celebrate their win on the 18th hole during the final round of the [+] Travelers Championship at TPC River Highlands on June 24, 2018 in Cromwell, Connecticut. But now, Scheffler is the top-ranked golfer in the world, and Scott has cashed some of the biggest checks of his career. I didn't choose it.". (Photo: Reinhold Matay-USA TODAY Sports). This is such a fun golf course, its such a fun piece of property. After Scheffler's win at the 2022 US Masters, veteran looper, Scott, has now enjoyed three victories at Augusta, having caddied for Watson at both the 2012 and 2014 Ted Scott always makes life about others. "So for me, my identity isn't a golf score. It was a 15-year run for Watson and Scott together before they split. We watched it so many times on TV, watching Tiger win this tournament and make his putts on 18. "Every caddie gets a weekly paycheck, no matter where his player finishes," Collins said in an animated video for his show. He followed that with an even-par 71 on Saturday, falling off the hot pace set by eventual winner Dustin Johnson. AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) Scottie Scheffler has never been here before. Wrote a book about some struggles. Smith is coming off a win at The Players Championship last month and is No. We didnt know what happened at the time, but he couldnt stand up. 4. He has won one major championship, the 2022 Masters Tournament. He really doesnt have a weakness. Scottie Scheffler has won four of the past six events he's played in, including taking his first major at the Masters on Sunday. (Photo by David Cannon), Travelers Championship at TPC River Highlands on June 24, 2018 in Cromwell, Connecticut. At the par-5 16th, Schefflers tee shot found more trouble, taking a bad bounce into a brutal lie in the sand. As much as Scotts a talented joke-teller, his best skill is knowing exactly the right thing to say. 5. Tiger Woods at the 2013 Farmers Insurance Open. USE OF AND/OR REGISTRATION ON ANY PORTION OF THIS SITE CONSTITUTES ACCEPTANCE OF OURVISITOR AGREEMENT(UPDATED 1/6/23),PRIVACY AND COOKIES NOTICE(UPDATED 1/4/23) ANDCALIFORNIA PRIVACY NOTICE. Man, he checks all the boxes, Schefflers caddie, Ted Scott, said of his boss. Scheffler doesn't appear to be slowing down as he movies through the final round of The Open Championship and beyond, but if there was a slow moment, it came during the Par-3 contest where Meredith was his caddie. Scheffler has pelted a ridiculous number of greens in regulation (72.2%) this season, leading the PGA TOUR in that category. Scheffler is a practicing Christian and has known Scott through Bible study and since Scott was on tour with his previous player. talked about the influence of Tiger on their game, whether it was influencing how they Before accepting his green jacket at Augusta, Scottie won the Phoenix Open, the Arnold Palmer Invitational and the 2022 WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play. Scottie Scheffler and his caddie, Ted Scott, on Sunday after winning the Masters. He's a good time to be around.". Thats when his new caddie, Scott, who had spent the previous 71 holes standing discreetly off to the side, entered the picture. Scott transferred from Watson to a young Scheffler. After the win, Scheffler expressed his thanks and admiration for his new caddie. Scottie Scheffler holds up his golf ball after shooting a 59 during the second round of The Northern Trust at TPC Boston. Schefflers caddie, Scott, knows something about winning at the Masters. Been close a few times, but never in the spotlight as the favorite heading into the final round. Tesori: It was on the fifth hole, and Scott leaned in and goes: Hey guys, I got the key to todays match. We were like, OK, OK, sure. I feel punch drunk, said 2018 API champion Rory McIlroy after a 76 left him T-13. Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. (Photo by David Cannon). He's honest. Let's GO!!!! RELATED: The (very) unofficial Masters record Scottie Scheffler just set. I cant control what anyone else is going to do.. Golfweeks Adam Schupak contributed to this article. Scottie Scheffler and caddie Ted Scott on the 18th green during the final round of the Masters at [+] Augusta National Golf Club on April 10, 2022 in Augusta, Georgia. He describes one particularly interesting setting he attended: It was like a crack house for foosball players. Scott was set to focus on golf instruction before Scheffler called him. This week: Scottie Scheffler and Ted Scott from the 86th Masters. Eric Ledbetter, one of the assistant golf professionals at TPC Boston, was soon handed the caddie bib and took over on the bag on a day when temperatures hovered in the high 80s. Scheffler was the only player in the field to break par in each round and had the luxury of four-putting the 18thgreen for double bogey and still shoot under par for the round. I never expected to be sitting where I am now. Press J to jump to the feed. Scheffler won despite hitting only five fairways and nine greens in regulation. "If the guy makes the cut, the standard is 10-7-5 10% for a win, 7% for a top 10, 5% for everything else," Collins said. Two things stand out. Sleeping on a 54-hole lead at Augusta National has proven challenging for some of the games greats, but fortunately for Scheffler, he had help from one of the most respected caddies in golf. He could be the life of the party, but he could also be serious and go deep with you, too. ", "I have such a great support system, and I'm so blessed," he said through tears. (Photo: Sam Hes one of the funniest human beings Ive ever been around.. The kid had a great short game back then, said Zalatoris. (Photo by Gregory Shamus), OK, we havent seen any of this [before], commentator Jim Nantz said. I tried to chunk it, and I chunked it, chunked it too much, he said. The 2022 PGA Tour has been good to the Scheffler's so far. With Scott, he has four victories in nine starts, for $9.04 million ($1 million per start). Scottie Scheffler hugs his caddie Ted Scott after winning the 86th Masters golf tournament on Sunday, April 10, 2022, in Augusta, Ga. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty) AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) Ted Scott was retiring last fall. It also marked the highest finish by a winner of a non-major on Tour since Jon Rahm shot a 75 at the 2020 Memorial Tournament. AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) Scottie Scheffler has never been here before. He tied for 27th, ending his streak of top-10s in the Masters at four. Joke-telling might be Scotts most underrated skills. AUGUSTA, Ga. Scottie Scheffler was in perhaps the most difficult spot in golf on Sunday. Well never know, but the point is that when it comes to the mental game, even the top ranked player in the world can make a rookie mistake, one that has the potential to cost everything. If Scheffler hadnt admitted his fears and vulnerability to his wife that morning, who knows if those emotions wouldnt have exploded at a far less opportune moment later in the day? Scheffler would enjoy nothing more than if Scott is the one on that stage. Terms of Service WebFacebook; Twitter; Facebook Messenger; Pinterest; Email; print; Scottie Scheffler walked out of Augusta National Golf Club after the 86th Masters on Sunday with a green jacket, perhaps the most prized possession in golf.His caddie, Ted Scott, also left with his own piece of Augusta. Scott was on the bag for both of Bubba Watsons victories in 2012 and 2014. In fact, hes happy that another young player will benefit from Scotts leadership. Schefflers caddie, Scott, knows something about winning at the Masters. He missed a 5-foot bogey putt and just as quickly as he had assumed the lead, it was gone. Scottie Scheffler caddie at the 2022 Masters is Ted Scott, the two having begun their partnership in late 2021. 18 and also eagled the 13thhole, but was too far behind after 54 holes to throw a scare into Scheffler, whose game is solid from top to bottom. Marketing Is Everywhere: This Startup Wants To Bring Continuity Across Platforms. He advanced it no more than 30 yards. 1-ranked in the world and he wins it. WebScottie Scheffler walked out of Augusta National Golf Club after the 86th Masters on Sunday with a green jacket, perhaps the most prized possession in golf. WEDGES:Titleist Vokey Design SM8(50, 56, 60 degrees), with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 shafts. Scott had been Bubba Watsons caddie for nearly 15 years The last player to find the winners circle despite not having his A game and spraying it all over the lot? They were down early in their match, and the atmosphere was cold but raucous at Gleneagles. His caddie, Ted Scott, and swing coach, Randy Smith, were already there waiting for him. WebScottie Scheffler. Scheffler will have longtime PGA Tour caddie Ted Scott on his bag starting this week at Sea Island Resort.